I was born in Worcestershire, UK in February 1968.
Dad is a Civil Engineer, mum a Nurse Practitioner. I have one brother who is four years younger. I am married to Beth and have two amazing children, the kids I never thought I would have, Charlie (Likes to be called Chaz) and Florence (Flo).
My background is in media. I am an artist and photographer, although I worked in television as a producer/director in my late teens. I have two professional qualifications. One in Graphic Design from a German University and one in Electronic Media and TV.
I suffered from anxiety issues from age 4 till I was 27 and it ruined 23 years of my life experience.
I had OCD, panic disorder, agoraphobia, separation anxiety, health anxiety, eating disorders, panic disorder, derealization, depersonalization, low mood, ROCD, HOCD and a massive range of, ever changing, symptoms and thoughts.
I had been told that
- I would have to manage high anxiety and mental health issues for the rest of my life
- I would have to compromise on my career and perhaps do part-time charity work my entire life
- I would always have to take medication
- I would never be able to have children because I wouldn't be able to provide for them fully
- my illness would worsen as I got older
- all of my conditions were incurable and just part of who I was
In 1997, medicated and having had years of psychotherapy, psychiatry, CBT, NLP and much more, in under a week I became anxiety disorder free.
Not just coping... fully recovered.
PLEASE LISTEN CAREFULLY...
I am not a psychologist but I suffered for 27 years and have since helped well over 20 million people with my materials... 200,000 plus with the home learning program alone.
This isn't some concocted BS 'self-help' program, it's the ONLY accredited, dedicated recovery therapy.
FEEL REASSURED - The reason that everything else has failed to cure you is because NOTHING available through psychology or medicine CAN cure you... it's science is wrong. The practitioners (mostly) haven't got a clue how you feel, why you feel it or what to do about it.
You are told that you must manage your anxiety, learn coping strategies and continue to suffer because of practitioner incompetence, not because it's true.
If it were true, I wouldn't have gone from chronic to completely recovered and the tens of thousands of people we have helped to recover would still be suffering.
You suffer because you haven't yet been shown the solution and the reason for that is simple... you've been speaking to the wrong people, despite what they might say to you.
I record these 'off the cuff' videos so that you get a true sense that my words aren't a sales pitch or rehearsed in anyway... just heartfelt, honest and experience-based logic, reassurance and guidance. Charles
So how did I feel the day I recovered?
It's very simple because I still feel the same way today.
First the 'ists'.
The almost Masonic-style brotherhood of people who often cause havoc in people's lives, all dressed up as professionalism... we have heard THOUSANDS of stories of the most unbelievable behaviour, flawed science and horrendous treatment of people.
Look there are 'ists' with good intentions but that doesn't make them good practitioners... similarly, there are 'ists' who learn the truth and use appropriate and correct science with some success... some work with us... but we administer the true scientific recovery in the correct way and our staff are 'ists'... they are just very experienced, highly qualified, correctly trained ones.
These bad 'ists' attack us mercilessly when we cure their clients and remove their 'cash-cow'. Some of these people are Doctors and Professors of psychology, hell bent on undermining us... why would they bother? Because they KNOW that what we do works and they know that what they do doesn't so they dedicate their sad lives to trying to remove the truth so that they don't get found out.
- most mental health practitioners, unless they suffer(ed), have not got the first clue what they are talking about.
- most psychologists, counsellors, psychiatrists and doctors do not understand the neurology and psychophysiology of anxiety disorders.
- most 'ists' couldn't tell you what 99% of the symptoms are, what they mean, why they manifest or how they are generated.
- most psychologists use CBT and either don't know its science is flawed, or if they do this, practice it anyway for the money.
- psychology and psychiatry have absolutely no relevance in the treatment of anxiety.
- OCD is NOT depression. Anxiety is not depression. Depression and anxiety have no neurological relationship whatsoever.
- none of the formal learning that these practitioners undertake has any relevance in anxiety recovery.
Now the facts...
- every single anxiety sufferer can recover.
- medication cannot remove the neurological responses and cure an anxiety disorder.
- no talking therapy works. It can't. It is scientifically flawed.
- flooding or exposure therapy will not cure an anxiety disorder. It can't.
- hypnotherapy cannot cure anxiety disorders.
- there is NO evidence for the curative efficacy of CBT - no trial data, no real people testimonials. *Only peer reviews.
* 'Peer reviewing' is the way that practitioners ask other practitioners to state that what they do works, even in the absence of real evidence. They believe that if they do something and ask a friend to state that they saw it 'working', they have evidence... no, they just have compliant friends.
Long story short - Since I recovered I have helped over 20 million people to understand their conditions and through the Educational Organisation we now run, we deliver recovery practitioner accreditation at a professional level and we offer home access, workshop, residential and corporate/schools/university recovery courses.
That (above) was me in 1996.
I remember that day so clearly. Beth convinced me to go on a day trip to Elan Valley in Wales but I was so agoraphobic and terrified. I thought I was going to die at any moment and I had at least 4 panic attacks during that day out.
I had been that way since 1972. Ok my anxiety fluctuated during my early life, but I was agoraphobic, school phobic and had OCD for 23 years.
I always had to wear sunglasses. Light seemed so bright.
I was always on the verge of a panic attack, if not, right in the middle of one and the urge to run... from myself actually... was constant and overwhelming.
I was 60lbs overweight, but hardly ate.
I was taking 60mg of Valium a day.
I was taking either Prozac or Zispin.
I was on Stelazine.
I was drinking Rescue Remedy like water.
I was having CBT, NLP, psychiatry and other weird and wonderful therapies.
After 23 years of anxiety, phobias, obsessions, compulsions, panic and low mood... medication and therapy.... I was completely anxiety disorder free in under 5 days.
Day one the panic attacks and OCD WENT.
Days two to five... the rest faded away. Permanently.
So what did I do?
I inadvertently discovered the cure for all anxiety disorders.
Seriously, I discovered how to switch off all inappropriate emotional responses and now, 20 years later, what I discovered has been confirmed hundreds of times by research psychologists and doctors to be THE solution.
I gave the solution to dozens of sufferers and guess what? They recovered too.
They would contact me to ask questions...
"Charles what would you do if you...
- had to take a flight?
- give a speech?
- are about to have a baby?
- experience X symptom?
- have an abusive partner?
- use drugs?
- are alcoholic?
... and the lists of questions went on and on.
I compiled lists of all these questions and I created Cds and videos to answer the questions... and as time went on, it turned into a pretty huge library of answers to most questions.
It was at this point that TLM was born.
We became an educational organisation.
We employed clinical psychotherapists, counsellors and psychologists to assist us in research and administering the therapy.
It then became an accredited therapy.
The therapy we developed is now the only accredited, dedicated recovery therapy and we have the world's only accredited mental health educational organisation teaching it to professional level practitioners.
We then opened the Anxiety Recovery Retreats and Workshops.
Now we are an NCFE educational organisation, work in partnership with government Trading Standards, we are NICE compliant, a member of the United Kingdom Register of Learning Providers, members of the Association for Coaching
Our team are LAR, MBACP & BPS accredited/members.
...and we love what we do to change lives.
Charles with Ricki Lake on her show in Los Angeles
Charles helped Will Young's brother, Rupert, to recover from his anxiety disorders
Charles with Sam Neil and Danny DeVito at the Graham Norton Show
Charles with Miranda Hart at an event
Charles in The Daily Mail with Jemma Kidd
Charles with Gok Wan filming his TV series
Charles helped supermodel, Jodie Kidd, to recover from her anxiety disorders
Charles helped Linda Robson's son Louis, to recover from his anxiety disorders
Charles helped Vogue Editor and 3 times best-selling author, Plum Sykes, to recover from her anxiety disorders
Charles and Beth in the London Times article about their residential recovery Retreats
Glynis Barber - a great friend of Charles' and a wonderful advocate for what he does
Charles and Beth at a recent event